Together with Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes-AMG finally unveiled the AMG Project One. A road legal hypercar with Formula 1 technology. AMG’s new masterpiece will be limited to 275 pieces and is currently present with great interest at the IAA carshow in Frankfurt.
The AMG Project One is the highlight of 50 years AMG celebration. Oficially the AMG Project One presented at the IAA is still a show car, but no doubt as AMG is already accepting orders. Here are the highlights:
- 1,6 liter V6 turbocharged engine and four electric motors delivering more than 1.000 hp (final output to be revealed later). The V6 has direct injection, one electrically assisted turbocharger, pneumatic valve springs and can go up to 11.000 rpm.
- Two electric engines (each 120 kW powerful) drive the front wheels, another engine is integrated in the turbocharger and the final engine is installed directly on the combustion engine with a link to the crankcase. The electric engines have rotor revolutions up to 50.000 rpm.
- MGU-H energy recuperation from exhaust gases: the exhaust gas turbine and the compressor turbine are respectively positioned at the exhaust side and to the intake side of the V6 in order to not heat too much the inflowing air in the compressor. Both components are connected by a shaft that features an electric engine of around 90 kW that can go up to 100.000 rpm and eliminates the turbo lag. The electric turbocharger recuperates surplus energy from the exhaust system to generate electricity to charge the lithium-ion battery.
- MGU-K energy recuperation from the petrol engine: a 120 kW electric engine has a direct link to the crankshaft via a spur gear and is acting as a generator when the petrol engine is not injected with gasoline.
- High-voltage EQ Power+ drive system operates with 800 volts thanks to high-voltage battery and DC/DC converter.
- Electric range of 25 km.
- Carbon-fibre monocoque body.
- Variable AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive with hybrid-drive rear axle, electrically driven front axle and torque vectoring.
- Automated AMG SPEEDSHIFT 8-speed manual transmission.
- Acceleration from 0 to 200 km/h in less than 6 seconds and a top speed of at least 350 km/h (final figures to be revealed later).
- Three ESP settings: ESP on, ESP Sport Handling Mode and ESP off.
- Front tyres: 285/35 ZR 19; Rear tyres: 335/30 ZR 20.